My Blog List

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

IT'S TIME WE CARE: a thought on World Environment Day

The stretch from Mao Gate to Imphal on the historic National Highway (NH) 39, now renamed NH 2, has been my most frequently travelled road. It holds many mixed memories ranging from life threatening situations to life’s simplest joys. Among many others was the memory of the picturesque scenery of lavish green forest and springs of water gushing down from the mountains running into the river below. With such splendors all around, it was easy to fall into a world of daydreams and by the end of the journey be thoroughly renewed.

Slash and burn - Photo taken on the highway
However over the years, I've witnessed the rapid deterioration of this rich land into an almost pitiable one. I've watched in pain the green mountains being stripped off their natural beauty at many places. And now they are mere bare-backs of yellow landmass. I am neither expert in environment nor an agriculturalist but I’m told that the degradation visible to my layman eyes is caused due to extensive practice of ‘Jhum’/ ‘shifting cultivation’ besides timber business.

The outcome - Photo taken on the highway 
With the growing population, the need for food has increased by manifold and thus the increase in abuse of the environment. This need has also further shortened the cycle period of jhum cultivation to 3 or 4 years and sometimes even lesser when actually the years needed for recharging such land is at least 10 years. So, for this reason, besides many other reasons, I think it’s wise to promote small family.

Terrace fields - Photo courtesy: Veio Pou
On the other hand, we have been practicing terrace cultivation for growing rice for generations now. Unlike jhum cultivation, this form of cultivation is environment friendly as it prevents soil erosion and retains the fertile top soil. So, can we employ this method to grow other crops in large scale too? I’m told that elsewhere people successful grow potatoes, maize and others on terrace fields. If some people have been successfully growing other crops on terrace fields in our region, I think they should share their experiences and encourage others to do so too.

The other issue that concerns me is how to increase production without further expanding the farm land. Obviously, we can no longer afford to bring down the limited forest areas. Towards this end, will it be possible for us to adopt the System Rice Intensification (SRI) method of cultivating rice? This system has been widely accepted to be environment friendly and at the same time yield more crops in the same area of land as compared to traditional method. On a very small scale, I had asked my sister to try this out on an experimental basis and the result seems quite positive. I may be wrong but I see some hope in this system.

Right now I feel so hypocritical writing this sitting in an air conditioned room. But the concerns are real, believe me. I genuinely wish to see the stretch from Mao Gate to Imphal regain its lost glory. 

6 comments:

  1. An eye opener. The need of the hour is to love our environment and find sustainable agricultural methods. Heavy fine should be imposed for those responsible for burning of jungles and logging for business purpose. We must have a regulatory body with necessary laws framed with the support of the government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so true, travelling around in people land, usually I look at them & enjoy the natural beauty not realising at times that in our own land we can enjoy those same or even better views, however it is sad to see that all these are fading away. I hope we will all do something to bring the past glory & not make it a thing of the past...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. It's painful to see the 'barebacks' of landmass, as you put it. It has always been a concern I carry around. Great you wrote this. One thing confuses me though... there are no dearth of training in agricultural methods and I know a few instances where some of our people were participants, but it shows no result. Did they consider it as just some kind of holiday program, to visit and see other places? But in the main, it has a lot to do with our general economy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Ephrii. Sometimes I wish there was a system in the world where people pay taxes to those would preserve forests after all everyone else also benefit some it! And we obviously can't tell people to stop making a living from forest or land... we need to offer/develop alternative livelihood options. But as I said, encouraging small family will be beneficial for the economy and also to sustain our resources.
      As far as my experience goes, for a community to adapt to change takes a very long time. Traditional methods come almost naturally and any change to it seems a threat. Trainings are important but demonstration and model farms should follow. Even after that people can still resent. But for what it is worth, we should give it a try :)

      Delete
  4. Good one. I can't agree more with Ephrii on 'general economy'. This has lots to do with promoting & preserving the last green zone in our region. Along with adopting environment friendly agricultural practices we need to explore newer avenues to generate economy of our people. This I believe hold key to raising awareness & reviving the greens in our region.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post.
    Eye opener really

    ReplyDelete